Our University of Edinburgh project constructed with valued client , Mclaughlin & Harvey, was officially opened by The Princess Royal, who is Chancellor of the University and Patron of the Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies on May 1.
The 7000m2 sustainable building was completed at the end of 2017 with the project overseen by the Estates Department and designed by multi-disciplinary firm Atkins. The building provides shared facilities for students, staff and research scientists, consisting of state-of-the-art facilities for use by the Vet School, teaching and exhibition space, as well as ancillary accommodation including a gym, shop, support services and a multi faith contemplation space.
It is also home to The Roslin Innovation Centre; which provides flexible, open plan, cellular office and laboratory space for rental to start-up companies undertaking strategic, commercial and collaborative research in the Animal and Veterinary Sciences; Agri Tech and One Health industries.
With its western side clad in local stone and a ‘living green wall’ and its eastern side appearing to float above the ground, it is hoped that the building will become an icon for the University. It will also act as the gateway to the campus, which as well as being home to The Royal Dick Vet School and its newly expanded equine hospital, also houses The Roslin Institute, the renowned animal sciences research institute.
The building has been named after Orlando Charnock Bradley, one of the foremost veterinarians of the 20th century and Principal of the Royal (Dick) Veterinary College (as it was then known) from 1911 until his death in 1937.